Contents insurance and home safety tips

insurance and
home safety tips

Contents insurance

We insure all our homes and all the contents that we provide, such as central heating systems. As this does not cover your personal belongings, we advise that you take out your own contents insurance. A good insurance plan will cover you in the case burglaries, fire damage or flood damage.

We offer our customers an affordable content insurance scheme, called My Home, through our partner insurance provider. To learn more about My Home insurance, please click here.

Insurance claims 

If you are a leaseholder and need to claim on the buildings insurance, please call Protector Insurance on 0345 266 9660, quoting policy number 788964/1.1

Home safety tips

Fire safety

Our estate services team carries out regular fire safety checks of our homes. We work in close partnership with the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS) and the Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service (HFRS) to provide expert advice and reduce the risk of fire in your home.

Please test your smoke detectors regularly to ensure they are in good working order.

Gas safety

Every 12 months, we carry out safety checks on all the gas boilers and gas fittings that we supply to our customers’ homes. This service is offered to our leaseholders on request (charges may apply).

If you smell gas, please contact the National Gas Emergency Service immediately, by calling 0800 408 5500 or click here.

Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless poisonous gas that is produced by the incomplete burning of fossil fuels (including gas, oil, wood, petrol and coal). Learn more about carbon monoxide.

Condensation and mould

Condensation can affect all homes, old or new, and can become more noticeable in the autumn and winter. Everyday activities, including cooking, washing, bathing and even breathing, can release moisture into the air.

Read about treating condensation, damp and mould.

Energy bills

To help you reduce your bills and save energy, we have teamed up with Citrus Energy to offer a service that makes switching your current utilities providers an easy and straightforward process.

Find out how you can switch your energy provider.

Severe weather

For weather alerts and forecasts, click here. You can contact your housing officer or report any questions or concerns by calling our freephone on 0800 692 3000. You can also email

Child-related accidents

Most accidental injuries to children can be avoided through increased awareness, improvements in the home environment and greater product safety.

Read more about how to prevent accidents from happening to children.


Unless you know who you are talking to, never give your four-digit credit or debit card PIN number, online banking codes, passwords or personal details to anyone, including the bank or police. Our staff will always show you their ID and you can contact us to verify any colleagues or approved contractors.

Home alterations

Please don't make any alterations to your home without speaking to us first. Click here to read about our alterations policy and fill out an agreement form.

Utility cupboards

To access your communal utility cupboard (for telephone or TV connections), please contact our estate services team 48 hours before your contractor appointment.

TV aerials

We maintain and repair communal TV aerials for our rented flats and sheltered schemes, but you are responsible for looking after the parts, connections and sockets within your home. If you live in a house or independent dwelling, your TV aerial is your responsibility.

Read about our repairs policy.